Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Cabo da Roca, Portugal (August 16, 2014)

At this juncture of my summer trip to Europe, I feel tired, jaded, cynical, and critical. It's understandable because continuous travels is tough and I'm not made for a nomadic lifestyle. No one is, I believe. If someone claims to love endless travels and does not wish to go home, I think that person is probably running away from something or someone. One way or other, we all seek stability, belongingness, peace, and love; and it's hard to find these on the road. Have you seen the blank stare and dull affect of a homeless person recently? We travel to gain new perspectives but there comes a time when we must return to where we come from. Life is a cycle of renewals.

So, after traveling independently for most of the way, I decided to join a short excursion tour to Cabo da Roca with the hostel crew to see continental Europe's westernmost point in the late afternoon. I appreciated the van transport directly from the hostel's front door to Cabo da Roca and back. This former pilgrim has done her penance and feels entitled to some "luxury".

Cabo da Roca was like any other cliff views that I've seen (can you detect the cynicism yet?). No big surprises or highlights really except for the cross and marker. After a few pictures, we left the tourist spot and headed to a local bar to down a glass of home-made ginja. All of that was included in the 10 euros fee per person; a rather reasonable rate altogether.

No comments: