Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Algarve region (Lagos, Salema, and Sagres), Portugal (August 08-12, 2014)

On August 8th, I took the 12:30 pm EVA bus from Lisbon and arrived in Lagos, a popular beach town in the Algarve region of southern Portugal, at around 4:30 pm. The non-stop, direct bus ride was smooth and pleasant ~ snacks were also available on-board for purchase. From the bus station in Lagos, I walked another 10-15 minutes (along the main Descobrimentos Ave. and through the historic center) to the Gold Coast Hostel, where I booked a 5-night stay for 23 euros a night (pricey but hey, it's the peak August season).

Lagos was a nice place to base myself even though it was crowded with tourists. The historic center offered up plenty of restaurants, snack bars, and shops ~ it was fun to meander the paved promenades to window-shop and people-see. I managed to find pockets of niche places and fun things to do in (and around) Lagos: I visited a local farmers' market, spent an idyllic afternoon on a beach, went kayaking (25 euros for about 3 hours), and took a day trip to Salema and Sagres. I also bought a used book to read ~ Joseph Heller's "Closing Time" (a sequel to "Catch 22"); it was great to chill and read for fun again.

I enjoyed my day trip to Salema and Sagres, in western Algarve. I first took a bus from Lagos to Salema (2.65 euros) where I spent a couple of hours in this tiny fishing village with soft, sandy beach. It hasn't completely sold out (my kind of place) as locals still lived and worked alongside tourism. Coming from crowded and busy Lagos, Salema felt like a breath of fresh air. It's always about perspective, isn't it? I had a bowl of fish soup and a plate of mixed salad (5.50 euros) at a local fish restaurant in Salema before I took a bus to Sagres (2.80 euros) next. Sagres was a different ball game. Its claim to fame, I suppose, is that it is located in the extreme southwestern point of continental Europe. Surfers go to Sagres to chase waves. I, on the other hand, like to visit places that are on the edge. There's something intriguing about going to the farthest corner of a place where there is no where else to go but to turn back. I visited the fortress (3 euros) in Sagres, where on its compound, strategically located up on a cliff, I saw a lighthouse, a church, and an old turret. I also walked along the edge of the cliff in immensely windy conditions and gazed at the deep ocean in front of me. Before heading back to Lagos by bus (3.85 euros), I stopped at a local bar for a veggie burger and fries (5.50 euros), which was simply satisfying ~ just like my day.

I'm heading northwards from Algarve to Sintra, Portugal next, where I look forward to seeing romantic castles and beautiful parks. Until then, peace be with you all dear readers. Rejoice in life. 

Above: Views from the bus ride from Lisbon to Lagos

Above right: Gold Coast Hostel in Lagos

Above: Fish soup and margherita pizza in Lagos (9 euros)

Above: Sights in the historic center of Lagos

Above left: Chocolate gelato and Porto sherbet (3.20 euros) ~ so good; Above right: My bed in Gold Coast Hostel in Lagos

Above: The Saturday fish market in Lagos

Above: The Saturday farmers' market in Lagos

Above: Beaches in Lagos ~ the (Atlantic) waters were frigid

Above right: Sarah, my roommate at Gold Coast Hostel

Above left: Choral performance at Santa Maria Church in Lagos; Above right: Our kayaking tour guide

Above right: Sushi buffet in Lagos ~ made fresh to order for just 9.95 euros per person

Above right: The beach in Salema

Above: In peaceful Salema

Above: The white houses reminded me of Santorini in Greece

Above right: These freshly-made sugar-coated, creme-filled donuts looked so good (but I didn't get any, gotta watch my figure)

Above right: Fish soup in Salema

Above left: Mixed salad in Salema

Above: The beach in Salema

Above right: A tree in Sagres

Above: In Sagres

Above: The harbor in Sagres

Above: My walk to the fortress in Sagres

Above: The fortress in Sagres

Above right: Veggie burger and fries in Sagres


1 comment:

Emily Wilson said...

Your blog on the Beaches in Algarve & the surrounding region is wonderful. I might use your post to get around Algarve & visit its beguiling places. The pictures that you posted look awesome. I am excited for this relaxing trip with my better half.